Monday, March 23, 2009

Current


So long ago, so much has changed,
Our lives rearranged
Like the quadrants of a Rubik's cube.
Do we match up anymore?

We can't know what lies in store 
When Faith, unsure of what it hopes for,
Stumbles over what to do
And fumbles, tumbles, falls-

Stalls.

But life goes on, its hectic pace
Not slacking up, not letting up,
Not slowing down a bit for those
Who need to do some catching up.

The tide of Time just streams on by
With Life caught in the current's flow.
Meanwhile, standing on the shore,
Watching while the world drifts on,

I wonder, how does one decide
To jump in, swim, be swept away
Or stand upon the bank--remain,
A constant in this world of change?

That teasing ache for certainty,
That longing to be filled, if only
Once, be something 'kin to Fate,
Something Absolute and Separate,

Calls out like a siren's voice,
Urging me to make a choice:
Cast off the past and start to row
Or get caught in the undertow.

Do I sink or do I swim
And let the current take me in?
__________________________________________________________
  I've been thinking a lot about time lately. Not just the usual complaints of there not being enough hours in the day (that's nothing out of the ordinary,) but more like musings on the passing of time. It's such a double-edged sword. Time heals wounds, but time also breaks down those things and relationships that aren't carefully maintained. I remember in college, I used to drive around the surrounding countryside and gaze for hours at old barns and homesteads that had fallen into disrepair from years of neglect. I always wondered what happened to make them unwanted, unused. There was a story to them all, and I wanted to know it. To me, they held a certain strange beauty, in spite of their brokenness... or perhaps because of it.
  There's a painting by Salvador Dali called "The Persistence of Memory" which portrays so perfectly the effect of time on our human minds. The clocks, draped over various other surfaces, melt and lose their original shape. In the same way, our perception of time changes as we move through it. We forget details about events in the past, we're unsure how long ago an event occurred, we struggle to remember exactly what an old friend looks like. Time wreaks havoc on our memories, making us wonder "What if ... ?  What if my memories are wrong? What if I've forgotten something important?  What if my mind eventually fails?"  
  So many of our concerns in life center around time and our perception of it, our place in it.  I can't really imagine an existence outside of time, but I have a feeling that eternity will be exempt from these sensations of time passing. Maybe exempt from time itself.  As for me, I can't wait to stand on that bank, having stepped out of this human experience called time, and bask in the eternal Sun.  

2 comments:

  1. I agree with much of what you wrote. But lets look at it in a different light as well...we see the old barns, the houses in disarray. We ALSO see the Pyramids...the ancient monasteries and cathedrals, the grand halls of kings and queens and emperors long since passed away. If the relationships you see fading...if the lives you see racing into disrepair and disarray can rebuild their houses on the One Solid Foundation, our Lord and Savior, then all it takes---like the monasteries still inhabited and the cathedrals that still hold services as they did millenia before---is someone to maintain, to strengthen. To see when cracks began to form and to mend and heal. In a relationship, it means communication and seeking God's will for each other, in a life it means devoting yourself and your time to God, and letting His blessings flow through you and out to others. These are the ways that with a solid foundation, time need not destroy all things, but instead lead to your Eternal Sun, no matter how long He tarries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very attached to the visuals that tie my heart strings...to lives lived I knew nothing about but saw the evidence of their existence in the old homes and barnes....I wonder of the life they had there and the life that we have today...too often I take for granted just how each moment is to be spent in loving others for God...instead of focusing on Sweetie's stress of the moment....the joy of living is my focus as I try to find new ways to share this risen Savior we know!
    love you!
    Sweetie

    ReplyDelete